Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jo’s Chicken Pot Pie

Well my husband asks me all the time when am I going to make him some chicken pot pie and I always put it off thinking that it’s such a huge job.  Well I decided to try and see if it’s really such a big deal, so my husband went grocery shopping and bought all the ingredients I needed.  To simplify this I decided to use the regular puff pastry I always use.  It was so easy to prepare, I had no idea, so I think I will make this a lot more often now.  I must say, it turned out looking beautiful and just simply delicious.  The one I made ended up making about 6 servings, so here are the ingredients you will need:
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 carrot chopped
  • 2 potatoes cut into small cubes
  • 1 cup of frozen peas
  • 1 can of sliced mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp of butter
  • 1 lb of skinless boneless chicken thighs (you can use chicken breast)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 box of puff pastry (you’ll need two sheets)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. To start off I wanted to bake my bottom pastry, just to make sure it will be cooked and it will not get soggy, so I put it in a 9×13 pan, but you can use whatever pie pan you have.  So as I said, I stretched the bottom pie sheet on the pan and baked it for about 10 min until golden brown.  Also you will want to poke some holes in it, so it won’t puff up.  Next in a deep frying pan, melt the butter and then add the onion, carrots, potatoes, chicken and mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes.  The potatoes should be soft and the chicken cooked.  Add the frozen peas, mushroom soup, salt and pepper, and flour and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens, which means the flour has cooked.  Add this mixture to your pie pastry that has been baked and cover with your second pie pastry and fix the edges.  You will also need to poke some holes here and if you wish brush it with an egg.  Bake in the oven for about 30 min until the pastry is golden brown.  Serve warm.  It’s simply delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment