Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Rumballs

I've made these chocolate rumballs many times and people just love them.  If we have a pot luck at work, I usually make these, I make them for the holidays, I simply just make them because they are easy to make and they are absolutely delicious.  If you don't want to add real rum, you can add rum extract, but they are much better with real rum in my opinion.  I can't remember now where I got this recipe, I just know I've been making these for a few years now and they are very popular.  Anyway, here's what you'll need:

  • 1 box of chocolate cake (follow instructions to bake the cake)
  • 1/4 cup good cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup of good rum
  • 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 2 cups of powder sugar
  • 2 cups of shredded coconut for rolling the rumballs in
As mentioned above, follow the instructions to bake the cake, so you will need additional ingredients for that.  I usually buy the super moist chocolate cake mix, it much better.  Anyway, after the cake has cooled, crumble it up in a big bowl, add the powder sugar, rum, cocoa powder and the chopped walnuts and mix well.  Initially you may think there's not enough moisture, but as you mix it well, it will all incorporate really well and you will be able to roll rumballs. 

So start rolling, the rumballs should be just a little over an inch in diameter.  After you rolled them between your hands, roll them in the coconut, I usually roll them in the coconut one at a time as I make them, I find that the coconut sticks better.  You can store them in an air tight container in the fridge for over a week.  They are just delicious, great for the holidays, or just because you want something chocolaty.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment