Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jo's Chicken Biryani

So, I must say, this was just an experiment.  I love Indian food, but I'm always just scared to make it, just the thought of all those ingredients scare me.  When I cook, I like to do simple things, that taste delicious.  So having said all that, this dish was quite easy, even though when you see all the ingredients, it might frighten you.  But don't be scared.  This dish is about 3 steps, so pretty easy.  Anyway, here's what you'll need:

  • 2 cups basmati rice or any long grain rice
  • 1 lb of chicken, I used drumsticks for this dish, but you can use chicken breast if you wish
  • 3 onions chopped
  • 1 cup of yogurt
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup tomato paste
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • 1 pinch of saffron
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • salt to taste
  • 3 1/2 cup of water. 
  • 5 tbsp oil
Ok, so don't let it overwhelm you.  In the first step mix together the following ingredients: yogurt, ginger, garlic, cayenne, tomato paste, cumin, cardamom, coriander and salt.  Mix well and add chicken, coat well and marinate for 3 or 4 hours.  After chicken has been marinated in the fridge, step 2, in a pot add the rice, water, milk and saffron and cook the rice.  In a sautee pan, step 3, heat the oil, add the onion and fry the onion until golden.  Add the chicken mixture to the onion pan, including all the marinade.  Cook the chicken well, since I was using drumsticks, it took me a bit longer, about 30 min, I just didn't want to have raw chicken.  Plate rice first then chicken and sauce over the rice, or you can mix everything together.  Pretty easy, and absolutely delicious.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment